> I beg to differ. Having a message base reside on a server is exactly
> what needs to be avoided. The message base that resides in encrypted
> form on the flash drive in my pocket is under my control. I will need
> to be killed for someone to have access to it. I will not be killed
> because someone hacked a server to find me or find a "reason" to kill
> me.

> IMAP is exactly what I do _not_ want!

OK. Let me put it this way.

It doesn't matter what are you using POP3 or IMAP4. If your mail
server is breached then message base is compromised anyway. Moreover
messages can be intercepted before it even reaches your server. So
that's why you should be using PGP/SMIME if your life depends on what
you send. If you are using PGP or SMIME your messages are safe
on a server also independetly what you are using POP3 or IMAP4. And if
you don't trust PGP/SMIME encryption and are working for "secret
government" and you chose such unsecure collaboration method as email,
you should be using your goverments email server which is
behind triple firewall with double encrypted internet connection on
constantly monitored :)

I hope this answers every aspect that you can come up with.

 Vilius