Hello Allie and other TBTECHS,

On Saturday, February 10, 2001 at 14:08:56 -0500 Allie wrote on "! 1.49: Message
Column Lists moves to the right, message threading":

Thank you very much for your comments! I have permitted myself to snip
everything except the following from your message, since we now seem to be in
almost complete agreement on these matters :-)

ACM> I should be able to follow the entire thread and be able to view all
ACM> columns.

Again, I'm not sure that this is a fair demand :-) Especially not if it is meant
to go for the message list in the "main browser", as well as the one in the
"Folder View".

Besides, I still don't think this discussion has brought a program to light that
does what you are asking here. Agent does *not* allow following any thread in
it's entirety while at the same time retaining all columns - not if "following a
thread" means: reading the messages in a thread in their proper
"follow-up"-context. A version of Agent with "free" follow-up limit (so to
speak) would not be able to guarantee the presence of all columns. X-news allows
what you are asking *to a very high degree*, but even here it could be necessary
to move columns. This need would hardly arise, though, and so X-news seems to
come closest to your ideal. But, as I've said, IMHO it is not an aesthetically
appealing model ("transgressing" expanded threads are merged into neighbouring
columns).

ACM> I however have many threads that do the following to me:

ACM> The most important information I need from the message list is who the
ACM> message is from. It's also the first column info I look at. At times
ACM> when reading a message deep within a long thread and being taken to it
ACM> using the CTRL+] shortcut. The message list auto-scrolls to the right
ACM> and I'm now looking at the message date, folder and subject columns
ACM> and not the from column. I have to highlight the message list and
ACM> scroll sideways to see who the message is from. Very annoying,
ACM> especially when you don't have to put up with that sort of thing when
ACM> using other threading apps.

It seems to me that this entire discussion has evolved around the following
problems:

1) that columns move as threads expands

2) that columns move out of sight as threads expands

3) that the entire message list moves when using certain short-cuts

1) Annoying as it is, but would only happen when an expanding thread exceeded
the follow-up limit in the model that we have agreed upon.

2) Even more annoying. But, as you pointed out, this can already be solved (to a
degree) in TB as it is by making room for the columns to move. But it is
probably not possible to prevent it from happening *at all* given the basics of
TB's way of doing things. With "our" model, though, it would only happen as the
thread exceeded the limit set by the width of the threaded column.

3) The Ctrl+] shortcut is not available to me (with my Danish keyboard). I *do*
have a shortcut for "Move to next unread", though, but it has never given me
*any* kind of trouble. My problems arise when I use the right-arrow to unfold
branches in a thread. What happens is this: I open a branch using this
short-cut, but the first (or only) message in the branch are not part of a new
branch, and before this has become clear to me, I press the right arrow again.
But since there is no branch this shortcut now means: "Scroll to the right" and
the whole message list moves! Are you sure that this is not what is happening to
you as well?

This is, of course, not a problem of TB's threading, but a *shortcut*-problem
and can easily be solved by using another shortcut for expanding branches (like
ctrl+spacebar).

--
Best regards,
Jannik Lindquist