Thursday, November 21, 2002
5:06:38 PM
RE: "My "if" doesn't care"

Greetings Jonathan,

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, 11:38:30 AM, you wrote:

JA> If it is attached by his SMTP server, he really has little choice in
JA> it being there really.

In my line of work this is a severe problem. As a network
administrator if this message is processed through our company's SMTP
server, from an employee to a public list, this is a "no-no".

JA>  Plus if you read the message, it says it's solely intended for the
JA>  individual or entity (ie mailing list) that  was named.

Again refer to my comment above.

JA> Which I think (my legal knowledge is about the same as that
JA> of regexp) would suggest this would be an okay post... no?

The additional overhead of a 4 or 5 line "disclaimer" violates net
etiquette pertaining to mailbox storage space, list server storage
space and would be especially troublesome to those that have limited
mailbox storage for the purposes of subscribing to a public list. In
some cases all bits count.

JA>  As the email was directly addressed to the list, and not accidentally
JA> addressed to the list, the disclaimer can be 'ignored' in the respect
JA> it actually went to the right person/entity, but the content still may
JA> be copyrighted, and/or legally privileged to said company, at which
JA> point the article/email could only be distributed with full disclosure
JA> of the copyright information (as this disclaimer is it, it'll be
JA> there)... or am I miss-understanding something?

Disclaimers in an e-mail transaction are not binding on the receiver's
end therefore rendering the "disclaimer" moot. If in fact some of the
content is "content still may be copyrighted, and/or legally privileged
to said company" the sender should do all in his power either encrypt
the contents or insure that sensitive data and information does not
utilize this method of transport. Again this renders the "disclaimer"
moot.

JA> or am I miss-understanding something?

If sensitive, confidential or copyrighted materials owned by Merck and
Co. are forwarded to a public list then the one originating the
message should be immediately terminated. As for this being the case
in a post to a public list server I therefore cannot see any
information nor sensitive data from Merck being sent to this list so
we are right back to the issue of the "disclaimer" being moot and
adding zero informative content to the senders post besidesting
list server space.

This is way off topic so I shall cease this discussion.

- --
Regards,
 DG Raftery Sr.

Don't document the program; program the document.

 Current version is 1.61 | "Using TBTECH" information: