Hi, all,
On 30/09/1999, at 18:27,
Ali Martin (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
took a mike and sang on a blues tempo:

AM> Maybe you need a color codes for messages intended for reading but not
AM> just yet and one could then add a switch in the context menus.

AM>      Mark read                              /Mark all messages read
AM>      Mark not read but for future reading   /Mark all unread messages not read but
etc.
AM>      Mark unread                            /Mark all messages unread.
It may be better than what we've got new, but I *don't* want to make
all that work by hand (see further).

I will try to be more clear, about my wish. My apologies for my
English level.

Just imagine ;) that there is tree types of posts in folders :
- new;
- seen;
- read.
"new" and "seen" are now one thing : "unread".

"Read" is a post you've opened at least the time you've defined to
change it from "unread" to "read". No change.

"Seen" is a post you have not read, but which is in a folder you've
opened at least the time you would define, if my wish is agreed. This
means that you know this post is here, but you want to read it later.

"New" is a post which is in a folder you've not opened since this post
has been downloaded. (May be the definition for "session"?)

The colors would work like that:
1- If there is at least a "new" post in the folder: red. end.
2- If there is at least a "seen" post in the folder: orange. end.
3- brown. end.

So, when you look at your folder, and you see there is only brown and
orange folders, you knows that you already have manage *all* the posts
in these folders: If you've a rest, you open the orange ones, if not,
you go back to work, fun, girls, or anything you want.

When you see a red folder, you know that there is at least, in it, a post
you've not managed: you open the folder and chose to read, or not. The
color becomes orange (if you don't read all) and that's *all*.

As as have tens of folders, this will be *very* useful and time saving
for me.

AM> Your proposal is more likely to cause confusion for others. It should be
AM> a fully manual marker because of the dilemma with what exactly a session
AM> is.

For people who has no interest in this kind of color management, just
act like if orange and red were the same color, and there will be
exactly no change for them :)

About the use of priority level subfolders, it will change my folders
window to a gas factory, and make me spend lots of time managing this
by hand. Lots of time spent just for the *non-urgent* posts, which is
a strange way to manage the priorities ;)

If my wish is agreed:
I've got new mail, red, I look at the folder.
There is nothing urgent in it, I *just* close the folder and, yiiip,
it's orange.
I will never have to open this folder before or I have time for
non-urgent tasks, or it becomes red again.

Pfff! Waiting for critics :)))

Claude.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thought of the day (randomly french or english)
L'eau coule sans interruption et atteint son but :
image de l'Insondable répété.
Ainsi l'homme noble marche sur le chemin des vertus
et exerce le métier de l'enseignement.