Tuesday, October 26, 1999

Hello Paula,
(snip)
Paula> That's 15 programs with 15 different interfaces to learn and remember,
Paula> often for tasks that are not performed that frequently. The commonality
Paula> of interfaces and basic functions has benefits that can't be totally
Paula> dismissed out of hand. In an office environment, this means less
Paula> training costs, less support costs. I believe it was the desire for this
Paula> intergration in a corporate setting that primarily motivated MS and
Paula> Netscape to add and expand the news reader capabilities of their
Paula> mailers. For home users, it's been my experience that many, maybe most,
Paula> prefer integrated applications, because they don't want to have to deal
Paula> with learning and maintaining many different applications. Plus there is
Paula> the cost. When I got tired of NS crashing on me all the time and patched
Paula> together my own suite of internet applications, it ended up costing me a
Paula> couple hundred dollars total.
which means you arent an average / typical user either.
You want one, take my partner, he LOVES outlook and runs the free
fax program from US robotics (which isnt bad at all).
he loves it, you send him an email longer then fist the screen he
tends to get rude. It keeps the company running though..
I would say he runs the stuff I wouldnt touch if they paid me to (ok I
will, offers welcome (g)).

>> I'm sure my list will differ in areas from others (everybody has their
>> favorites), but my point is that I don't want a piece of software that
>> can only do a half job. I realize that for a great number of
>> Internet/computer users, this may not be the case, because they don't
>> push the envelope.

Paula> Exactly. It is a niche market that appreciates and wants these small,
Paula> fast, highly specialized products.  I don't know how RIT Labs envisions
Paula> the market for TB, but they seem to wish it to be used by businesses. If
Paula> so, then a companion news reader might be a good idea, even if it does
Paula> not have all the power of Agent or Gravity. I wouldn't use it myself,
Paula> but I see where it would add to TB's competitiveness in a larger market.

You may find a greater impact on sales if marketing is improved..
How many people not actively downloading files know of the bat. They
should flog it to any magazin wanting to include it..

Best regards,

tracer

Using theBAT 1.36

mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]