Hello, fellow Bat-lovers.

On Thursday, December 30, 1999, 12:28:13 PM, Alexander wrote:

> Hi there!

> On 30 Dec 99, at 9:35, Keith Russell wrote
>     about "Re: SOT: Y2K and possible virus pro":

>> > it's drwebwcl.exe, CLI version of the program.
>>
>> But how do I install it? I think you said it's not installed by
>> default, and I don't appear to have it.

> Means you didn't choose it for installation somehow. Re-install,
> and when the dialog (in Russian:-), but it's similar to the same
> dialogue in every other installer) asks for the "type of
> installation", select the lowest choice (it's custom), and then
> select all the components after it asks you to.

I installed by simply guessing where to click to continue on each
dialog, thus getting all the defaults, since earlier discussions had
indicated this would work.

I had no alternative. While the splash screen does display Russian and
the blue background has a mishmash of garbage (roman characters with
lots of diacritics), in the step-by-step installation dialogs
themselves, I see no text at all, except for the occasional English
word or punctuation mark; everything else looks like an underline (or
continuous dashes).

There was absolutely no way I could tell which dialog represented
"type of installation".

>> > Just tested: delete this line, and it will switch to English:-) Sorry
>> > for inconvenience, but I told you it was an offer for *Russians*:-
>> > ) Time to learn Russian, yeah?
>>
>> Can you tell me how I can get Russian font support in English Win98?

> I'll bet you've got it already. Just for testing purposes:

> ολ

> The line above should look exactly as "OK" (without quotes). If
> this is the case, the font you are using in TB supports Cyrillic.
> If not, set the font to Courier New and look what happens.

The line actually says "IE" with a circumflex accent on each letter. I
checked under Editor Preferences, and it says Courier New. (At the
bottom of the "sample editor window" below, I see the same garbage
that I see when beginning a DrWeb install.) I can change the display
of your test string by changing Encoding, but I don't ever get "OK".

I don't know what's going on, because I have at times viewed Cyrillic
characters in messages.

In any case, as someone else pointed out, The Bat! settings will not
affect my ability or inability to see Russian characters (or any at
all!) During the DrWeb install.

FWIW, my installation was successful, and I was able to switch to
English just fine in both applications; I just didn't get the
command-line program.

By the way, I am running Windows 98 (original version with updates)
and The Bat! 1.38e.

Thanks for your help.

 Keith Russell
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]