On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 05:32:08AM +0300, Alexander V. Kiselev wrote:
> First of all, you and I use e-mail for different purposes and besides we've
> got different habits of working with it, hence we're not likely to arrive to
> a common denominator here:-) Anyhow, a couple of comments below:

    Exactly my point.  We use email differently.  The way you do it forces the
user to go through added steps whereas mine does not.  It is called a matter
of choice and your solution doesn't offer it.  You don't care because you
don't want to operate outside the very limited set Pegasus offers.  I am
pointing out that from my perspective you can do other things with my
solution.  That is the fundimental difference.

> It's *my* boss, not yours:-) He's got lots of other things to do other then
> remembering my e-mail addresses:-) He usually just presses "Reply", and *I*
> use different e-mail addresses at home and at work, hence his replies come
> (at minimum) to both:-)

    Before you stated that he, "seemingly arbitrarily" picks a random address
to send you mail.  Now you are saying that he replies.  That means it is your
fault for him sending different letters to differernt addresses.  IE, you
causing the problem that Pegasus magically solves is not a good argument for
that being a solution.

    Here's another one that works.

    Mail him from one address.  Oddly enough, when you have separate accounts,
that is pretty much automatic, isn't it?

> Nope, wrong here. Pegasus lets you assign any identity to any folder,
> *including* the attached mailbox folders. This works much like in TB,
> although Pegasus doesn't make use of templates the way TB does. In the case
> discussed, I'd just create the identity with the proper dial-up settings
> (the dial- up settings of the attached mailbox, verbatim) and attach it to
> the "Separate me" mailbox... That would have done the trick.

    And therefore having to do it for every folder?  I have over 30 folders
across my two accounts, I'm not about to define in each which "personality" to
use with which.  Separate accounts takes care of that automatically.

> > > Not the case with Pegasus, look above.

> >     I did and by your own admission it does not work.

> Seems it does:-)

    Then why did you say it didn't?

> TB stores filters inefficiently; create 10 filters and you'll in a short
> time forget which is where and what it does.

follows".  Same with PErsonal, BUsiness and ReMove filters.

> for version 2. OTOH, in Pegasus all the above-mentioned functionality is
> already at your fingertips, therefore it doesn't really matter whether I've
> got 100 or 1000 filters:-)

    It does to me.  Each filter means processing time spent doing things other
than what my machine should be doing.  Furthermore it does matter since I have
to create all of those filters in the first place just to do what the client
should have done in the first place, KEEP THE EMAIL STREAMS SEPARATE.

> I've got much more:-) Filtering *really* helps, when it's efficient.

    Yes, it is.  Filtering is even better when you don't have to use filters
to mangle the client into do what it should have done in the first place.
I've got enough filters in TB! (and PMMail before it) that spam gets filtered,
I get notified of new mail with unique sounds, that mail gets filed correctly.
I do so with the bare minimum.  I don't need to configure anouther 20-30
folder templates (or "personalities") and add another 3-4 filters per
personality (not to mention more conditions on each "global" filter to sort
the mail properly based on "personality") just to get my mail into a sane
state of affairs.