Hi there!

On 6 Jan 00, at 16:06, Steve Lamb wrote
    about "Re: Pegasus vs. The Bat!":

> > The "input stream" doesn't differ very much between these accounts, only
> > here I get the mailing lists traffic, too.
>
>     Three different servers.  Seems to be different to me.

Seems *not* to be different to me, since the messages containing the
discussions of the *same* mathematical problems arrive to all three of them:-)
Technically, it's different, but for *me* as a mathematician <g> they aren't...

> > All this means, that I frequently want to deal with the traffic coming to
> > three above-mentioned accounts as with one single input stream.
>
>     Why?  You are still retrieving mail from three different servers.  You can
> merge it at several different points along the trip.

The only technically possible option would be to redirect all these streams to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (UUCP account), but this wouldn't be the thing I want
to do.

> > You might ask, why. Well... Suppose a message comes to
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] and I download it while being at home. I would
> > like to reply to it through mph.phys.spbu.ru of course, but this means I
> > shouldn't filter it from MPH account to the UUCP (this) one.
>
>     Right.  IE, it remains separate which is what TB! does in the first place,
> what's your point?

The point is that this message has to be *stored* in the same folder as other
messages dealing with the same problem, but such messages come to all
three of my accounts.

> > If I do so, I'll need to switch the account used when sending the reply,
> > which is the operation I'm in a habit of forgetting to accomplish all the
> > time:-)
>
>     Drag it to the right account.  I know that is a strain, but it isn't that
> hard.

I do not use the mouse when working with my mail. So your idea won't work
for me.

> > Another option would be to leave this incoming message in the MPH
> > account, but then I would need to create the *same* system of filters and
> > templates in 3 accounts instead of creating it just once.
>
>     To solve, what you have admited, is a problem you created with people
> mailing the wrong address.

What you are calling a problem is a style of working for me, which permits me
to have the things done. Dixi.

> > So *I* would suggest that the "identities" feature be supported by TB, too.
> > It has proved to be extremely useful for *me* in Pegasus, and I don't see a
> > *working* workaround in TB currently.
>
>     However that would require everyone else to change to your faulty way of
> handling mail.  NO!

Nope, it wouldn't. The overall structure of the program would remain the same,
what's suggested by me is the following. Why not permit each account (in
properties) to have more then one POP3/SMTP settings pair? That's about all.
All the rest would remain as it is, only an extra macro to be added:
%POSTUSINGPOPSERVER="whatever"

How this would require you to change *your* style?

--
SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---