Tuesday, January 11, 2000, 11:50:36 PM, tracer wrote:
> why a bad idea?

    Because of the current internet climate and the whole design behind the
mail system and how SMTP servers fit into it.

    Technically, a lot of ISPs now will not accept port 25 connections from
dynamic IP space.  Some other ISPs are going so far as redirecting outbound
port 25 traffic to their mail server to force the issue.

    Then there is also the issue of the purpose of an SMTP server.  It is
there to deliver mail.  Delivering mail is hard to do for people on a dial-up
when their connection is down.

    Finally, opening up port 25 unless you know what you're doing is a bad
idea.  Even I with my setup at home and my experience in the ISP field have
troubles sometime.

    There really isn't a need for an email client to implement a full SMTP
server.  That is what the SMTP servers are for.  When people get a connection
they also, more often than not, get access to an SMTP server they can use.
Personally I have two servers my home and work machines can use to deliver
mail.  If I ask some people I can up that to four.  I don't need that on the
local machine.