Tuesday, January 11, 2000, 3:53:51 AM, Claudius wrote:
> Then your conclusion will be: do not try to make complex software.
> Doesn't work for me.

    No.  My conclusion is given the bugs and inconsistencies that still
persist in the 1.x series I don't have much faith that RITLABS can move to a
more complex model and keep it from being laden with bugs.  Because of the
virtualization if anything does break it is more catastrophic than now.

> If you just want to *read mail* you can use Outlook...

    No.  Lookout! does more than that.

> A good start for any serious discussion, he?

    Hey, took me a while to get that far.  After a while it just gets annoying
to try to decipher who said what when there is no clear indication of it.

> I chose to quote that way, alright?

    No.  The standard convention is to have quotes preceded with the > symbol.
You will note that TB! highlights these quotes a different color than the text
I have added in this message.  This means we know that you said "I chose to
quote that way, alright?" and I am replying to it here without having to read
and reread each passage several times to make sure you're not saying something
else.  It has been that way for almost as long as I can remember.  There was a
time on BBSs where there wasn't quoting.  I vaguely remember that.  So let's
just say for well over a decade and a half that is how things are done in this
medium.

> Most of the quotes where so short, that I rather included them in my
> discussion, O.K.? Secondly, I wanted to make clear to everybody who I
> quoted. Sorry if this one time didn't fit your aesthetic feeling or the
> processing of chunks.

    No, it is more along the lines of doing it done how the culture you have
entered does it.  You mentioned newspapers.  Wouldn't you sit there and scowl
at me for quoting like this in a newspaper?  Yes.  Why?  Because the standard
convention in the printed medium when quoting someone is radically different
than here.

> The idea of exchanging news, opinions or help is similar. I read mails from
> other people, I read my paper mail, postcards, I answer email, paper mail,
> postcards and even news from news.xxx.yyy .

    And, your point?  None of that refutes my statement that the way that they
are traditionally dealt with are radically different.

> As exclusively for newbie market, you are right, here, but sometimes newbies
> or 'outsiders' to speak generally, are able to bring in new views or ideas
> that an involved person wouldn't have come up with.

    It is a rare case, really.  Most times they want the latest "cool" feature
and wonder why program XYZ doesn't do ABC and when told why, in technical
detail, state unequivocally that standards are meant to be broken.

> Right! He answered to 'the ideology' with technical aspects, because
> there are no visual (or 'ideology') differences!

    Uh, yes, there are.  Scoring, for one.

> I don't understand you. I wrote that it is A+ software engineering to think
> about the similarity of news and mails regarding the purpose of exchanging
> information, with the same properties, and you say 'good'.

    You didn't make that clear.  I read it that you was saying that TB! was A+
software engineering.  I do not consider it so given that it doesn't even
conform to the standard CUA keys for marking items in a list context.