Hi Januk,

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:45:32 -0800GMT (02/02/2000, 12:45 +0800GMT),
Januk Aggarwal wrote:

JA>  Now if you could set the priority of mail that you *receive* either
JA>  manually or through filters, then this might have some more use.

But I'm doing this: "private" means read first, "business" means read
second (and in the order of origin country, i.e. time zone, starting
with Australia and going West until I reach US West Coast), and
"mailing list" means, well, (no offense <g>).

JA>  Agreed, I doubt my messages, to people I consider important, are being
JA>  ignored, but I'm sure you can come up with some far out scenario
JA>  where this might happen.

Apart from spamming? No.

JA>  But just to give a counter argument to your statement that all
JA>  messages have equal chance of being read, that's not true. What if
JA>  your recipient reads the first few lines and decides that it isn't
JA>  worth reading.

If the recipient is a friend: make his folder a sub-folder to "distant
acquaintances". If he is a business partner: look for another one. If
he is your brother: tough luck. He will not be likely to change his
behaviour just because you have a red-colour envolope in front of your
name in the message list.

JA> Then your message is unlikely to be read in full. If you set the
JA> priority flag, it might get a little more attention.

I doubt that, and here is the reason:

JA>  However this is a problem with the sender's writing style, and so it
JA>  needs to be fixed there.

Right.

>> Urgent business enquiries have the word "URGENT" in the subject.

JA>  That is probably a lot better since you can be a lot more
JA>  descriptive.  For example: "Important"

That is implicit, if the message is from me. I don't send
"unimportant" business emails. ;-) If I receive "Important" messages
in my private email account, it has so far always been spam.

JA>  or "To be done today"

*Each* email and fax has to be replied to within 24 hours, those marked
"urgent" within 2 hours - company rule. I support (and enforce) the
rule. Private mails will be replied to within the time frame I see
appropriate (and that can be a lot faster than business email <g>).

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.41 / Beta1
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.