A Chara Paula,

Saturday, February 26, 2000, 6:34:46 AM, you wrote:

PF> Well, I happen to be struggling at the moment with trying to find some
PF> efficient way of dealing with information overload from the various
PF> internet sources. If only mailers and newsreaders had the capability to
PF> export in a database format without alot of parsing needed. The Web is
PF> hopeless, of course. (sigh)

I understand completely. My brain was going into meltdown with info
from the web a while back also.

I don't know whether this will be of any help, but my half-arsed
answer to the Web info problem was to install a simple, but powerful,
free web server on a separate partition on a PC (doesn't have to be a
separate partition btw). The free web server I use is Xitami from
www.iMatix.com (very small download). I also use two cache browsers,
MSIEX and Unmozify, for quickly changing all absolute paths in the
html code to relative paths which saves me having to do it manually
(which I did for ages with a string 'find and replacer' and Notepad -
far too time consuming). Unmozify also creates an index of the sites
you visit for browsing off-line. All I do now is copy the files to a
folder on the web partition and then create an alias for the folder in
Xitami. I can then browse the 'sites' off-line with my browser. E.g.
http://mypc/security & http://mypc/javascripts, etc.

Creating simple link indexes to pages under a specific subject is very
quickly done and that then gives me immediate access to all the info -
without any intention to be patronizing, if you do use this method you
should probably operate it from behind a simple firewall (which you
can also get hold of free) as Xitami will open ports 80 and 25 for
http and FTP access which means that anyone knowing your IP address
could easily browse your webs on your PC when you are connected to the
Net.

You could have this all up and running within an hour!

Slan,

 Simon                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

L’homme est bien insensé. Il ne saurait forger un ciron, et forge des Dieux à
douzaines!

(Man is quite insane. He cannot create a maggot, and he creates Gods by the dozen)

MONTAIGNE 1533-1592