Hello Januk,

Saturday, April 01, 2000, 11:28:08 PM, you wrote:

JA> Hello Douglas,

JA> Did I accidentally include your address in the To: field?

Correct.

JA> I shouldn't have, but if I did, I do apologize.

No need to. I would have gotten it anyway, just like all of TBUDL
since November.

>> This may or not be what you want to do (but I think TB - or your
>> server - won't let you send a name in the to box without an email
>> address also) but:

JA>  So long as you have an address in the BCC: field TB will send your
JA>  message without complaining.

OK

JA> Someone (probably Alexander or Steve) had posted the appropriate
JA> section of the RFCs that covers this topic. The Archives should
JA> hold that info.

>> "The Name of the Mailing List" <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> might serve your
>> purpose. Also: you could make or open an account under the name of the
>> list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or whatever domain you
>> arrange to use.

JA>  I like your idea, "The Name of the Mailing List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> is
JA>  a good way to let the recipient know that it is a mailing list, and
JA>  if they hit reply, there should be no problems.  Just note that there
JA>  probably shouldn't be two < signs.  I'm guessing it was a typo. :)

Correct again.

>> Then you could do a kill filter for the copy coming back if you really
>> want to. Or, if you're a member of the list yourself, a periodic
>> "Killing Dupes" (from the Folder Menu) is all it takes.

JA>  Plus the advantage of getting a copy back is that you can check to
JA>  make sure everything went out ok. With TB this isn't a very big deal,
JA>  unless you are sending out attachments.

Most of my TB! templates insert my address in the bcc box, so I don't
have to look for them in sent. I think I also had a copy filtered to a
self bbc folder on one account, which for some reason prevents it from
being placed in sent.

What I really want is the virtual folder / column feature that TB!2 is
said to have. I want to see it all together as it comes in, without
having to treat it all as one one account. That was the part of
Calypso that I did like, along with being able to pause an account
(not have it download with the rest) by write clicking on it, it's off
line mode was good also, and being able to send a single message from
the outbox by right clicking on it. TB! will send all of them I
believe, unless you open it first.

Otherwise though, Calypso sucks - their tech support is a nightmare
and the Calypso users list receives a message every 4 months. The TB!
multi-lingual message editor is so far above Calypso's that there's no
comparison.

>> **Speaking of "Killing Dupes"**: I was doing that a moment ago and hit
>> the next one down the list - "Purge and Compress". What does that do?

JA>  The Purge part goes through and gets rid of excess messages.  If you
JA>  don't have either "Keep messages in database for xx(days)" or
JA>  "Maximum number of messages" then Purge does nothing.

Then it did nothing.

JA> When you hit the delete key, the text is still in your message
JA> database. Compress gets rid of that junk.

Compress does not apply a compression algorithm then.

Thanks for the clear explanations, Januk.