Hi Jamie Dainton,

On Wednesday, August 02, 2000 at 9:32:56 PM you wrote:

>>> do you by any chance know of any txt editor which can remove identical lines?
>>> i have got  a list of addresses which i joined from 5 other txts and it
>>> came to some 5000 k and about 4 identical lines of each

SL>>     The GNU text utils would work wonders here.
SL>> type file | sort | uniq > file.new

SL>>     Sort will put them all in order and then uniq will return only a single
SL>> occurance of any repeating line.

> It's  time  to get your copy of C++ or Pascal out. Ultraedit won't cut
> it  and  I've never used GNU text editing tools. I'll have a look into
> it, if I think it'll take less than an hour or three I'll have a go. Just
> please don't expect miracles. I'm usually reasonably busy.

Well,  here's a piece of Perl code that does the same thing. Tell me if you
get the C++ version any shorter ;)

@lines = <>;
foreach $line (sort @lines) {
  push (@uniquelines, $line) unless $seen{$line}++;
}
print @uniquelines;

Oliver Sturm

--
% ar m God
ar: God does not exist

Key ID: 71D86996
Fingerprint: 8085 5C52 60B8 EFBD DAD0  78B8 CE7F 38D7 71D8 6996