Tuesday, August 08, 2000, 6:17:22 PM, Marck D. Pearlstone, wrote:

MDP> Hi Joe,

MDP> On 08 August 2000 at 16:34:10 GMT -0500 (which was 22:34 where I
MDP> live) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote and made these points on the subject
MDP> of "Two Format Questions":

MDP>>> Alt-j - format justified?

JF>> If you say so. But that command does *not* maintain paragraphs
JF>> either, which is extremely important to me.

MDP> What  do you mean by "maintain paragraphs"?

When it wraps the lines, it also runs all the paragraphs together into one huge
paragraph. I'd have to go back and separate them all again -- YUK.

MDP> If you mean the typewriter
MDP> convention  of  indenting the first line of a new paragraph ..

No, not that.

MDP>  I don't
MDP> use  it  myself.  Nor  do  I  use the "double space after punctuation"
MDP> concept.  I  do  use paragraphs separated by a blank line.

That!  It eliminates those blank lines.

MDP> Under these
MDP> conditions TB maintains paragraphs with a beauty and an elegance which
MDP> suits my e-mail writing style to a tee ;-).

MDP> (okay, I may have had to "settle" a wee bit, but I like it a lot now).

When writing text, yes, I agree, but not when pasting text.

MDP>>> Also   TB   reformat  will  correctly  move  quote  marks  while
MDP>>> reformatting.

JF>>      I'm not sure I understand this, Marck.

[Answered in a previous post.]

JF>> Ideally, TB would automatically format your pasted text in the
JF>> same way as your normal default message format.

MDP> Agreed - it should.

Well, in a nut shell, that's all I'm really saying.

And I'm still betting $.25 that the majority agrees with us.

JF>> I don't know why it doesn't,

MDP> Because  the  way  that  the "paste" function has been written, it has
MDP> bypassed the normal text formatting functions ... a bug IMHO.

In Steve's World, that "bug" is probably a "feature," eh?

:>)

--
Joe Finocchiaro
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>