Hi John,

On 14 September 2000 at 16:20:17 GMT +0100 (which was 16:20 where I
live) John Hinson wrote and made these points on the subject
of "HTML mail":

JH> One  feature  defeats  me,  though.  Is  it  possible to send HTML
JH> ("styled")  text?  Certainly,  it receives such messages fine, but
JH> Ican't figure out any way to send such messages.

While  you can (with a great deal of effort), it is not part of the TB
remit  to  cover  HTML  mail  creation.  There  are  a number of other
products  which  do this. There are also a large majority of dedicated
TB  users  who don't want TB to be able to do this. Theory states that
V2 (currently in development but not yet even in beta) will be able to
do  this. I would prefer that it didn't, but then again I get told I'm
an old dinosaur in that respect.

JH> Even the font for your view of writing messages seems to be
JH> fixed-width only.

Because  The  Bat  uses plain text formatting techniques which rely on
Fixed  pitch  fonts  to  work correctly. Text is the proper medium for
email and not HTML, which is intended for web browsing.

JH> I know that HTML email is sometimes considered bad manners, so I
JH> hope I am not treading on any toes here.

I'm afraid you are. Please refrain from posting HTML here.

JH> And finally, I plead guilty. I'm writing this using a rival
JH> product (Poco) which lacks some of The Bat's features but does
JH> seemmore flexible in this respect. Can you chaps convert me 100%
JH> to The Bat!?

The  Bat  is  the best e-mail client there is. Period. HTML is not for
e-mail - it is for presentation. You wouldn't expect TB to include all
of  WordPerfect's  capabilities  -  you would sent a WP document as an
attachment.  Thus  you  can attach a prepared HTML file to an email an
and  in  that  way  send  an  "HTML mail". I don't want to get into an
argument  about  OE and Poco and all of the others that "let you do it
properly". That doesn't make it right IMHO.

Now,  show  me  another  client  that  handles multiple accounts, with
template  facilities  like TB offers, as powerful a sorting office and
the  very  useful  ticker  and its' virtual folder for reading all new
mail. I don't believe there is one.

If you hang around, you may also discover that this list is itself yet
another asset in the TB armoury <g>.

Of course, the choice is yours.

- --
Cheers,
.\\arck
[    Marck D. Pearlstone | Moderator TBUDL / TBBETA              ]
[ PGP Key ID: 0x929DCDA0 | www: http://www.silverstones.com      ]
[ PGP Key: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Body=GET%20MARCKKEY> ]

 COLE'S LAW: Thinly sliced cabbage
 TB! v1.46 Beta/6 S/N 14F4B4B2 on Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998