On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 02:56:33 +0200, Karin Spaink wrote:

KS> Jurek answered that one. It's old, imported mail. Something got
KS> fucked up in the conversion,. New mail looks ok.
    ^^^^^^
<moderator hat on>
Since this is an international group with people of different cultures
subscribed; attitudes toward profanity may very well be mixed with some
taking offense and others not. To maintain as tranquil and as peaceful
an atmosphere as possible on this list, we have decided to 'outlaw' the
use of profanity here.
<moderator hat off>

>> I  don't.  It  will  make  my  plain  text  justified  paragraphs look
>> absolutely  terrible.

KS> There's no discussing taste. But as I said: why both have the fixed
KS> fomt as the only alternative _and_ free caret?

I have no personal problems with your query. But with respect to
variable width fonts, it can really create problems with formatting of
the sender not being properly appreciated by the recipient. Variable
width fonts do look better but their use is sender centric so to speak.
What I mean is that the sender admires their message format but the
recipient fails to see what there is to admire because they are using a
different font.

Take for instance. As seen above, I underlined one of your words. If I
had used a variable width font, it really wouldn't make sense doing it
because you wouldn't see it as such at your end.

Copy and paste the text to an editor that supports variable width fonts
and look at it with various variable width fonts to see what I'm getting
at.

I agree that it's a pity that fixed width fonts are generally ugly but
they are better to use for plain text based correspondences. I have
found happiness with 'Lucida Sans Typ' at size 10 using large fonts at a
1600x1200 resolution. I never really felt happy with look until now so
I know what you mean. :-)

- --
A. Curtis Martin..
Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA  |  PGP Key ID: 0xEE079937
PGP Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendAlliePGPKey
- ---
** "Don't Take Life Seriously, It Is Not Permanent. "
Using TB! v1.46c «» Win2k Pro SP1