On Sunday, September 17, 2000, 1:08:42 PM, Susanne wrote:

> I may try reinstalling. Had problems importing my OE5 messages. A
> lot of them came through without any subject line, were cut off
> halfway or were completely empty. Is this a common problem?

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious: have you compress the folders in
OE before trying to import them into TB?

I left OE a couple of months ago, and had problem importing my mail
to any other email programs I tried at the time (TB, Becky, and
Eudora), and further investigation lead me to believe that OE is
responsible for most of the problems. Compressing them first would
eliminate some, though not all, of the problems. For those
ill-converted messages, I went back to OE, saved them as individual
.eml files, rename them to .msg files, and imported them as such
(they are in fact the same).

If there are too many messages requiring such treatment in a folder,
there's a freeware utility called DBXtract.exe which would extract
all messages from a OE4/5 folder and save them as individual .eml
files, so you don't have to do it one by one in OE. I lost the link
to the original web site, but it should be easy to find with a
search engine.

Sometimes even individual .eml files won't import properly, however,
and examining them (plain text files) with an editor would show
there's garbage data in it. There's nothing I could do but clean it
myself (if it's important) or discard it.

Messages imported from OE won't have the correct Received Date/Time.
It's because OE doesn't track the received time the way TB does (TB
track the date/time it receives messages, OE use the date/time your
server receive them). If you care (some people use mainly the
Created Time, and don't care about Received Time), you'll have to
export them from TB, correct them with an editor (preferably with an
advanced editor with macro ability), and re-import them.

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.47 Beta/2 | Win2k SP1