Hi Ming-Li,

On Wednesday, September 20, 2000 at 12:36:40 AM you wrote:

>> somehow  I  didn't notice this before, but I don't like it: I have
>> the message  list  configured  with  the  subject  as the first
>> column and threading  active.  Now, every time I expand a thread
>> (or sub-thread), the  subject  column width increases by some
>> pixels. I have some other columns  to  the  right of that which I
>> can see well when no thread is expanded.  But  as  soon  as  I get
>> two levels deep, I can't see the rightmost column any more because
>> it's out of the screen to the right.

> It's because TB needs the extra space to accommodate the "plus"
> signs and dotted lines that visualize the relationship of a thread.

Yes, but (acting like a pure user) that's only the column's content to
me.  The  column doesn't expand width when the subject is long, so why
should it expand when there's a plus?

>> Is that new or why didn't I notice it before?

> It's been ever since I started using TB a few months ago. I don't
> like it, either, but so far I haven't got any better idea.

That's  simple:  stop  the grid from resizing the column on expansion.
Or,  internally  *reduce*  width  after expansion of the plus. Did you
ever submit that as a bug? It's a bug to me... after all, you can even
configure  the  exact width of columns by pixels (whatever that should
be  good  for),  just  to  have  them  scroll out of view when reading
threaded mail.

Oliver Sturm

--
% ar m God
ar: God does not exist

Key ID: 71D86996
Fingerprint: 8085 5C52 60B8 EFBD DAD0  78B8 CE7F 38D7 71D8 6996