On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:50:30 +0200, Oliver Sturm wrote:

>> It's because TB needs the extra space to accommodate the "plus"
>> signs and dotted lines that visualize the relationship of a thread.

OS> Yes, but (acting like a pure user) that's only the column's content
OS> to me. The column doesn't expand width when the subject is long, so
OS> why should it expand when there's a plus?

Agreed!!

>> It's been ever since I started using TB a few months ago. I don't
>> like it, either, but so far I haven't got any better idea.

OS> That's simple: stop the grid from resizing the column on expansion.
OS> Or, internally *reduce* width after expansion of the plus. Did you
OS> ever submit that as a bug? It's a bug to me... after all, you can
OS> even configure the exact width of columns by pixels (whatever that
OS> should be good for), just to have them scroll out of view when
OS> reading threaded mail.

Well there are other ways of dealing with the problem.

Gravity simply leaves the threaded column width fixed and it's up to the
user to make it a reasonable size to accommodate expanded threads. This
is somewhat nicer than the TB! method.

Agent deals with it in a nice way by not listing the same information
over and over again. It makes the subject column the one used for
threading. After the initial subject has been listed, the name of the
subsequent posters in the thread appears in the subject column instead
of the subject. This avoids listing the subject over and over again, and
it also offers a nice wide column to thread the sender names. Agent also
has a setting for you to limit the depth of the threading, after which
the names are simply stacked on top of each other. I like this way a lot
but others seem not to.

X-News offers a similar method to Agent in that the thread subject is
displayed only once and that is at the beginning of the thread. After
this, a little card-like icon is displayed in the subject column and
reflects the flow of the threading. Because of this, very deep threads
can be completely displayed without the subject column having to be
widened. This method I like the most. :-)

- --
A. Curtis Martin..
Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA  |  PGP Key ID: 0xEE079937
PGP Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendAlliePGPKey
- ---
** "Faith is good, but scepticism is better. - Giuseppe Verdi "
Using TB! v1.46d «» Win2k Pro SP1