On Thursday, September 21, 2000, Thomas Fernandez wrote:

> That does not mean that the interface can be neglected. It does mean
> that functionality will be developed first, but if interface is
> developed never, the software product will not persist.

Many people will never get beyond the interface.

> Of those who have complained about the interface though, I think we
> are short of constructive arguments, as in: what would you like to see
> improved?

The tool bars could be slimmer in all views - the icons are swimming in
them - as well as configurable and more functions available for the
toolbars.

The main window could have more options for configuration of the panes.

On my machine, the column headings over the folder list pane, which I
have at full height on the left, are thicker than the column headings
over the message list, which I have on the top right. Not a big deal,
but it looks patched together.

There could be a choice of fonts used for the folders and messages
lists.

The Macros context menu needs to be reorganized, or another way found,
as some of the panels are gigantic now.

The menus could be re-organized to be more logical and intuitive. Why,
for example, are "Quick Templates" an Option and not a Tool, and the
check and send all function under Tools, instead of Account. The main
window menus would, IMO, be more logically ordered: Account, Folder,
Message, View, Tools, Options.

Lots of little changes could be made in both the menu bars and context
menus to improve usability. For example, move the Dial Up Monitor to
Tools from Options and make its menu choices - Show, Show Automatically,
Show Always, Hide.

That's off the top of my head. :)

> One thing is the shortcuts and their various inconsistencies.

Yes.

> Another is the missing documentation and "half" help file.

I don't think of adequate documentation as an interface issue.

--
Paula Ford
The Bat! 1.46c (reg)

http://im.yahoo.com