Hello Karin,

On  Thursday, September 21, 2000  at  03:20:55 GMT +0200 (which was 6:20 PM
where I live) witnesses say Karin Spaink typed:

> I experimented a bit. Using the Unix fortmat as an
> intermediary, you can virtually export to each and every
> mailreader. But it seems that you can't export _all_
> existing folders in one go: in as far as I can tell, you
> need to select a folder, select all messages, and then
> export,and repeat the process for each folder.

That is correct.  With the current implementation, the export command
only generates one file at a time (in Unix format).  If multiple
folders were exported at the same time, the messages would get mixed
up into one mail box.  So when you go to import, they would all be in
the same folder.

> You cann't select all folders in one go, and the moment you position
> the cursor on your main account, the exporting function is greyed
> out.

The account doesn't have a message base.  Each folder *in* an account
has it's own message database.  So it doesn't make sense to export the
contents of the account.  Now I will add that it could be a useful
*addition* to add a capability to parse multiple folders the way the
Purge/Compress commands can.

This can be done in an external script.  Unfortunately, I am not
verbose in VBS, so I can't come up with one at this time.  However, if
you asked me in LotusScript, there is a chance.

>  I'm not that apt at command lines, but there I don't see something
> that will export all folders at once either.

No, the logic is the same as above.  But with command lines, you could
automate the process with a scripting language like Visual Basic.
However, the time it would take to develop such a script may be too
high a price to pay, depending on the reason why you're exporting.  If
it is for backups, then it would be worthwhile. But if you are
doing it because you found a client more to your taste...

> Unless I'm wrong this calls for an item on the wishlist, I'd
> say.

Well, it doesn't have to be done by RIT, as mentioned above, a script
could do it.  So here's a challenge to any under-worked programmers out
there.  :)

> Hooray, hooray! Another convert!

I misread this the first time through.  I thought you had typed
"Another convict!!"  I was going to question your opinion of the list
membership.  <g>  Time to go clean my glasses.

--
Thanks for writing,
 Januk Aggarwal

 Using The Bat! 1.47 Beta/3