The voices are telling me that JMReichow said on Saturday, September 23, 2000:

> as  you seem to be an egroups - subscriber anyway, you may wanna check
> the following message
> http://www.egroups.com/message/thebat-dt/1764?threaded=1
> from the German BATlist.

> The author, Dirk Heiser, solved (y)our very problem with a combination
> of  filtering  and  using  his  own  small  prog  named cut.exe (free,
> download link in the same above message).

Brilliant!  Got it to work with very little trouble.  Thank you very
much!

OK, here's what to do for non-German speakers:

Download <http://www.dirk-heiser.de/Cut.zip> and unzip it somewhere.
I put it in TB!\Cut.  On my machine TB! is D:\Net\TheBat so the three
unzipped files (cut.exe, cut.ini, and cut.dpr) are all in
D:\Net\TheBat\Cut\ -- this will become important shortly.

Secondly, edit the cut.ini file.  Edit the next to last line (starting
"TheBat=") so that it points to thebat.exe.  In my case I changed the
next to last line to:

TheBat=D:\Net\TheBat\thebat.exe

Now bring up the Account / Sorting Office/Filters control and edit one
of the filters for your egroups accounts. In my case, I edited the
filter for my spazz3d list account. Spazz3D, btw, is a 3D modeling
program.

Under the Actions tab, go down till you find "Run External Program"
and type in the following (all on one line):

    (a) The path to cut.exe
    (b) The symbol for the message (almost always "%1")
    (c) The account name
    (d) The path to the message folder from the top of the folder
        tree.  Enclose this in double quotes if you have spaces in any
        of the folder names.
    (e) The name of the entry in the cut.ini file you're using.  This
        implies that you can have several entries in cut.ini.  The one
        that's in there now is "eGroups".

In my case, my account name is revbob and my Spazz3D messages are sent
to the Lists\spazz3d folder, so my line looked like this:

   D:\Net\TheBat\Cut\Cut.exe %1 revbob Lists\spazz3d eGroups

Note that you'll have two copies of the message, one with the ad and
one without. When you've confirmed that you've got all the parameters
right (that took me a while), go back to the spazz3d filter and on the
Rule tab set "Move messages to folder" to Trash.

Now if egroups changes its ad delimiters, all you'll have to do is
modify cut.ini accordingly.

If you've got Delphi (I think it is), the source file is also
included, so you can tweak it, translate it to C, or whatever if you
don't like the way it works now.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

"I'm ashamed to live in a country where white slavers and drug
smugglers go to jail, yet Forth programmers are allowed to walk
the streets as free men." - Ken "The Snake" Stabler