Hallo Marck,

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000 13:49:07 +0100 GMT (01/10/2000, 20:49 +0800 GMT),
Marck D. Pearlstone wrote:

GE>> In fact your mail means, both is used for the same things (other
GE>> than Marck said ? He is British, isn't he) but in two different
GE>> countries !

MDP> English  *and*  a computer programmer with formal computing education.
MDP> Trust me <g>!

I trust you Marck, and so I looked it up. The course material which I
receive from The Open University in England (www.open.ac.uk) uses both
spellings; I believe it depends on the particular author. A Laurie
Keller (she wrote the Course Units for MZX881: Architecture of
Computing Systems, which I am about to finish) uses "programme". Roger
Pressman, Ph.D. and of M880 course book fame, uses the spelling
"program". But then, he is American.

The different spelling in the US and the UK was created by a guy named
Abraham Lincoln. He wanted to simplify the spelling and created
confusion instead. Some examples of his rules are: Words ending on
-gramme were changed to end on -gram. Words ending on -logue were
changed to end on -log (dialog/dialogue). And so on; silent endings
were just cut off. Some of his further suggestions, such as night/nite
or light/lite didn't quite catch on; you'll find it in ads sometimes,
as in "Cola Lite". - Funny thing is, Canada (the anglophone part)
writes British and speaks American English.

My degree in English doesn't make me British, so, Marck, you'll have
the last word on this. It is just that I have come across this
particular word "program/programme" in a computing context quite often
these past months. ;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas                             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.46d
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366Mhz, 128MB RAM