Hello Graham !

On Sun, 01 Oct 2000 09:05:54 +0100 GMT your local time,
which was 01.10.2000, 10:05 (GMT+0200) where I live, you wrote:

TF>> Can you point me to the URL? Is ZoneAlarm free, or how much does it
TF>> cost? I understand it's still being developed?

> Yes, Zone Alarm is totally free.  The URL for this is:

> http://www.zonelabs.com

> There are two versions (ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro, which you
> have to pay for and adds some enhancements).  I am happy with the
> free version.

I totally agree with Graham: Zonealarm works perfectly and I never had any
problems with any program. Nevertheless you should be informed that Zonealarm
uses true vector technology which might be dangerous as some say in various
newsgroups (comp.security.firewall.something-I-can't-remember; software might
transmit data from your computer to zonelabs....). As many others in that
newsgroup I can't confirm this (Zonealarm never phoned home <g>) and IMHO there
is always a possibility to abuse technology; but this does not necessarily
mean that Zonelabs does use its technology for espionage.

Another info: you might have a blue screen of death telling you some problems
with VSMON32.DLL (not sure about the proper name). If so, delete Zonelabs from
autostart-group and start it manually when necessary. The error happens AFAICS
when Zonealarm and some anti-virus programs are started in auto-start (OT: when
do you english-speaking people use "program" and when "programme" ??)

> ZoneLog Alalyser is a separate program and can be obtained from:

> http://zonelog.co.uk

> Its still in Beta testing, but very stable and very interesting.
> It also is free.

Wow, Graham thanks for that URL. I wasn't active in firewall-NG for some time,
so this might explain why I didn't know about this tool. This is really great
!!

 Gerd
Using The Bat! Version 1.47 Beta/5

WinErr 16547: LPT1 not found. Use backup. (PENCIL & PAPER.SYS)