  On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:22:59 +0100, Kevin Tea wrote:

KT> As a Bat! Virgin the use of macros is totally new to me, as is the
KT> powerful and somewhat baffling filter system.

They were relatively novel for me as well. :-)

KT> Any hints, suggestions, tips, pros and cons will be gratefully
KT> received.

The only tips that I have on the filters are that:

a) the filter groups exist for automated filtering, in that incoming
filters will work automatically only on incoming messages to the inbox.

Replied filters will only work automatically on messages that have been
replied to, ie, when the message reply has reached the outbox.

Read message filters can only be automatically applied to messages that
have been registered as read and then closed.

Outgoing filters will be applied automatically to messages being sent
and are applied when they are sent to the outbox.

OTOH!! .... any of these filter sets may be manually applied to *any*
folder. (Filters may be manually applied by right clicking on the target
folder and selecting 're-filter messages').

b) If you wish to automatically apply a filter without moving messages,
make the source and target folders the same.

c) If you wish to manually apply a filter without moving messages, you
will have to do the same as above if you need to do string matches.
Remember that you can run any set of filters manually on any folder.

If you wish to manually apply filters without moving messages and you
don't need to do a string match, you are confined to applying single
filter rules at a time and also using a hot-key. You'll also have to
ensure than when you're defining the hot-key, that you have the option
'Check the selected message against this rule' disabled. For example,
I created a filter to add the senders address to a particular address
book group. Where ever I see a suitable sender, I just select the
message and hit CTRL+Alt+Z (my assigned hotkey and that's it).

The rest of filtering is pretty much documented and you'll just have to
go ahead and use the filters, asking for help as you go along.

The same for templates. I wrote an article on templates which is on the
FAQ site. Have you read it? Otherwise, look at the defaults and
experiment. You'll never get good at using them unless you experiment.
:-)

- --
A. Curtis Martin..
Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA  |  PGP Key ID: 0xEE079937
PGP Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendAlliePGPKey
- ---
** "Disinformation is not as good as datinformation. "
Using TB! v1.47 Halloween Edition (S/N CCA4F9B8) «» Win2k Pro SP1