Hello Melissa,

(MCB == "Melissa Cameron Barsic") [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

MCB> Hello all.  I'm in some dire straits, so I hope some
MCB> of you can help me.

MCB> I'm using The Bat! version 1.47 Halloween update,
MCB> under Windows 98.  The problem started ... at least a
MCB> week ago.  I'm not sure of its exact duration.  The
MCB> account in question here is the one I'm using to send
MCB> this e-mail, my Yahoo! mail account.

MCB> The problem is:  I can receive messages from the
MCB> servers for each of the two accounts I have on this
MCB> version of The Bat!.  However, when I try to reply to
MCB> a message, The Bat! hangs on the "Connecting to
MCB> server" dialog box and eventually tells me it can't
MCB> connect to the server.  It then files the unsent
MCB> messages in my outbox.

MCB> I can send messages from the web client for Yahoo!
MCB> mail, just not from The Bat! as a desktop client.

I had the same problem when I switched to Yahoo! from Hotmail.

Log into your web-based account (in your browser), then go to 'Help
Desk', then go to 'POP Access and Forwarding' then go to 'Why am I
having difficulty sending Yahoo! Mail messages from an email client?'

Check out the first item listed I that section:

----8<----

"For security reasons, we require that you log in to our POP servers
before you may send mail from an email client. To do this, your email
client will need to download new messages before attempting to send
messages.

* If your email client sends mail first when you click "Send/Receive,"
you may need to click "Send/Receive" twice. If you can't send mail
after several tries, move messages out of the Outbox, attempt to
receive with an empty Outbox, and then try to send your message again.

* If you try both of the above steps and continue to have problems,
please make sure that you have entered your Yahoo! Mail Address as the
"From" address in your email client. You will not be able to send mail
if you have entered another address.

* Finally, you may also wish to call your ISP to ask if they block
outgoing mail servers."

The first step solved my problem.

-Brian
--
In computing, the mean time to failure keeps getting shorter.