On Tuesday, March 27, 2001 at 17:11:50 -0800 syv wrote:

ML>> RTF files are attachments, aren't they?

> No, they do not have to be an attachment. It can
> actually be the message itself and Outlook Express will
> recognize it as RTF and format it accordingly

Again, I could be mistaken, but AFAIK it's just OE manages to show
RTF attachment to you automatically, as it does with graphic
attachments. BTW, could you tell me what email program would format
its mail in RTF and send it as such?

> Actually most of the time HTML email is plain text. It only has
> ASCII characters from 32 to 126. You just do not like the
> formatting.

Hmmmm, I think we have different definition about what plain-text
email is. I'm not sure I'm right, though I still think I'm. :-) I'll
try to find the answer later.

HTML and RTF are, AFAIK, marked text. I don't think they're
considered "plain text", especially in the context of email.
(Otherwise all email programs are "plain-text-only.")

Yes, RTF and HTML files are ASCII files in the sense that it can be
read with a text editor. But when you load a html (or rtf) with a
text editor, none of the "commands" (the markup codes) is "executed"
(interpreted). Hence, executing a .bat file can be harmful, but

A plain-text emailer like TB, according to my understanding, does
not interpret any markup codes (be it html codes, rtf codes or any
others). TB is no longer a "pure" plain-text emailer for it can show
html message now (so it does interpret html codes should you tell it
to), but it has built-in safety measure so that it interpret the
most benign kind of codes, but that's OT.

Back to the original topic. As far as outgoing mail is concerned, TB
is still a pure plain-text emailer, in the sense that it doesn't
send "coded" messages. So messages sent by TB (or other plain-text
emailers as defined here) is inherently virus free.

It seems to me you adhere to different notion of "plain-text email".
To me, it means "uncoded". It seems to mean "no binary data" to you.
This, I could be wrong. But at least by now it should be clear what
I meant by saying "plain-text only messages are inherently virus
free". As I said, I'll check to see if my notion of "plain-text
email" is wrong. And again, your input is welcome.

BTW, I don't think only ASCII code 32 to 126 are used in today's
"text". At least for CJK text, ASCII codes higher than 126 are used,
too.

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.52 Beta/1 | Win2k SP1