Hello Stefan & others on this TB! list & following this thread,

Tuesday, September 11, 2001, you stated regarding today's Terrorist
Attacks:

ST> I wish anything like this will never repeat and the counter-measures
ST> will not bring new innocent casualties.

Violence begets more violence, nothing was or could have been
accomplished by this wanton destruction, and anyone relishing over
it for ANY reason is subhuman and rather stupid, because the
backlash will be profound and this may spell the end of protective
havens for terrorists anywhere in the world.

Cabins can be sealed and armored, a foot button could activate a
silent alarm that transmits data sending jet fighters aloft to
prevent the highjacked plane's access to critical targets, manual
control of the plane could be inactivated and turned over to a
remote source that would land the plane, airlanes can be rerouted
and the use of vital airspace restricted, passenger lists could be
double checked for verified identities & histories (maybe
fingerprints & photographs will be required), tv cameras could
transmit who is doing what inside airplanes; airport locations may
be removed from vital areas (w/ high speed train links between
outlying airports and the cities).

The attack was ingenious yet totally incongruent w/ any worthy goal.
The  results  will  be  quite  different  from those imagined by the
perpetrators  and  those  most  responsible  will  be identified and
hunted  down.  Their  acts  have  made  them become too visible, too
destructive to remain protected. They will be eliminated.

And the demand for experts w/ solutions related to Security issues
will rise.

But 4 highjacked airplanes & four buildings destroyed (along with
more below) & hundreds or thousands of innocent deaths will resolve
no issues relating to independence or sovereignty and the opposite
is more likely as a result of this vicious, stupid and useless (if
spectacular) act.

Life  will  go  on,  measures will be taken, reoccurrences will soon
become less likely and the terrorists will soon discover that having
raised the stakes has put them out of their league. They have stoked
the Hawk's furnaces and justified a higher budget for the military &
espionage.  They  have  just given George W. the pretext he needs to
take a hard stance and show what a Texan can do in a fight (which is
much easier than negotiating).

"Pride" in any "identity" that negates ones fellow man is self
destructive. (Ask Tito).

As for the rest of us, the living bury the dead and rebuild, which
is as it must be.

As the villagers I lived with knew, a "todos nos entran" (no one is
bullet proof, and violence "no es negocio" - isn't good business").
Inevitably, the pendulum swings back.

I highly commend Stefan & Max et al for having dedicated their
genius to truly useful efforts. (Viva TB!).

Douglas