On 9 December 2001 at 6:46 pm brett wrote:

> Hello All,

> I'm new to TB! and am struggling to find a way to create a filter which will leave
>any mail with attachments on the server (without deleting it from the server).

> Suggestions much appreciated!

Me too - I thought this would be easy, but it isn't. I eventually
cracked it thus:

(i) in Account | Properties ..., select the Mail Management option
from the list on the left and change Message Management to 'Leave
messages on server'.

(ii) in Account | Sorting Office/Filters, set up a new filter with the
following options changed from the default:

Rule tab, Filtering string = @, Location = Anywhere, Presence = Yes

[in other words, filter all messages as an email message will always
contain "@" somewhere]

Actions tab, 'Delete the message from the server' ticked

Advanced tab, 'Message has no attachments' ticked

(iii) move this new filter to the top of the list of filters.

[to ensure that it is executed before any other filters]

Thereafter all messages will be deleted from the server if they don't
have attachments, but will remain on the server if they do.

The difficult bit is the combination of changing the account
properties and writing a filter; it appears you can't do what you want
to do with a filter on its own.

Alastair