ACM> @ 19:05:47 +0000 [ Tue, 1 Jan 2002], John Rainer [JR] thoughtfully
ACM> wrote the following:
JR>> Re the stuff on Norton and XP below: (related to Norton AV 2002
JR>> and the loss of the autodelete function for infected mail after
JR>> moving from 2001)

ACM> I'm a PC-Cillin user, and this new system I got came with NAV 2002
ACM> installed.. I've been using it and have so far had one bad experience.
ACM> I disable the mail checker since I use the system monitor. However, it
ACM> would appear that it stakes out the temp folder and will alert you of
ACM> virus or virus-like presence in the temp folder. No problem. However,
ACM> TB! was in the process of downloading an infected message and as soon
ACM> as NAV2002 detected it in the temp folder it alerted me but this
ACM> process somehow prevents TB! from completing the download and deletion
ACM> from the server. As a result of this, TB! kept attempting the download
ACM> until I had to manually delete the offending message from the server.

ACM> This I find annoying. PC-Cillin never did or caused this.

This is more or less what I found - 2001 deleted attachments before
they were actually received by the mail client by redirecting incoming
mail through a local server arrangement. In 2002, what seems to happen
is a forced scan of the mail as it is handled by the client, which not
only picks up infected mail but also tmp files as they are created. It
then says it found two infected files but can only find one of them
(as the tmp file has gone), that they cannot be repaired and that
after deletion of one file there is still infected mail present,
presumably because it can't find the previously infected tmp file.
It does go on, though, to complete the mail download - at least, it
did for me.

None of this can be automated so if you receive a series of badtrans,
it gets very tedious. 2001, on the other hand, works fine, fully
automatic and adding txt attachments to say what virus was in the
deleted attachment. There is a slight drawback from 2002 in that it
doesn't scan outging mail, which I can live without anyway.

John