DAC> On 28 Dec 2001, 10:47:54 AM, John Rainer wrote:

>> The email scanner in 2002 works in a very different way to earlier
>> versions and needs no email client configuration. The only automatic
>> function seems to be autorepair, which pops up a dialog on every
>> infected mail (infuriating) as it can't repair it, plus it picks up
>> the tmp file created by the bat, presumably because the mail is
>> intercepted in a different way from 2000/2001. To make things worse,
>> what's left of any infected mail has most of its headers removed.
>> I've heard that 2001 can be got to work in XP, so I might give it a
>> try - that worked fine in Windows 2000.

DAC> I just received a message with a virus which was detected by NAV 2002.
DAC> While it didn't give me a choice to delete, the easy option was to hit
DAC> the quarantine button, which I did. The virus got quarantined, the
DAC> rest of the mail got collected, and I was able to locate the message
DAC> which had had the infected attachment. (I sent to the sender asking
DAC> that I be removed from the resident Outlook Express address book and
DAC> suggested that the machine be checked for infection. I sent a copy of
DAC> the message to the postmaster of the ISP in question and to abuse@
DAC> that address as well. The message to 'postmaster' bounced because her
DAC> mailbox was over quota!!)

DAC> Anyhow, my point is that NAV 2002 seemed to me to have behaved quite
DAC> adequately.

Fine for you but not for me, especially after using earlier versions.
I'm not denying 2002 works - it does, but the way it works is not as
convenient for me as in 2000 and 2001. If you opt for quarantine
instead of repair, you still have to hit a button to quarantine the
mail otherwise your mail download stops, and after the fifth one, this
gets a bit tedious and after the twentieth infuriating. I was getting
40 badtrans a day when it first came out and others were getting many
more. You then have to look at all the stuff in quarantine and
manually delete it. Having used 2000 and 2001, where there is a
dialog-free delete option as first choice for infected mail, not a
last ditch alternative after going through repair and/or quarantine
dialog, this was a step backward, imho.

In 2001, infected attachments can be deleted automatically with no
intervention by me and mail downloads proceed uninterrupted without me
having to be at my desktop to press a button or have other tasks
interrupted. All received mail is still present in my inbox, with
all mail information there, but those with infected attachments have
their attachments replaced by a text file giving details of the virus
that was in the deleted file.

If you're happy with 2002, fine - I just prefer the functionality in
2001 and for any others that do, it does seem to work in XP ok if
certain precautions are taken at installation.

John