On 25 January 2002 at 11:02 am Marcus wrote:

> Hello,

> I'm currently using The Bat! 1.53d at home and would like to use it at work
> on my laptop as well. Mostly I bring my laptop with me when I'm leaving the
> office, but not always. When I do, I will use the laptop to read my mails,
> but when I don't I will of course use my desktop at home.

> Now comes the tricky part. When I bring my laptop home I would like to
> synchronize the mailboxes from the different computers so that they look
> exactly the same. A mail sent from my laptop should show up in my sent
> folder on both computers and of course a mail sent from my stationary
> should show up in the sent folder of my laptop as well.

> If you have used Outlook on a laptop you know what I mean, when you come
> back to the office and plug the network cable in the local mailbox is
> synchronized with the server's mailboxes.

> Is it possible to use The Bat! this way? I suppose I can run The Bat! in
> server mode at my stationary and as a client on my laptop, but will I still
> be able to send mail from the laptop when I'm not connected to my
> stationary? And will the mailboxes automatically synchronize when the two
> Bats get in contact with each other?

> (I'm sorry for all my words, english isn't my native language and it's
> pretty annoying trying to explain what I mean in a language I don't speak
> or write fluent)

You explained it excellently :)

Unfortunately, not many people (myself included) seem to use the
client-server functionality; I would always use Workstation with TCP/IP
(Options | Network & Administration), so can't help directly.

That said, I use two [manual] methods to synchronise between two machines:

1. Exporting and importing Unix mbox files (Tools | Export Messages);

2. <more rarely> Synchronisation (Tools | Synchronisation).

The first, for less than about 20 or 30 messages a day, works quite
well.

Alastair