Friday, January 25, 2002, 3:47:31 PM, Serge Skorokhodov wrote:

> First, why do you have 'Archive' on both laptop and desktop? Do
> you really need it this way? If you keep your archive in desktop
> only, it'll resolve half the problem, eh? :-)Just do not synch it
> at all.

> Second, set both active accounts to delete received messages from
> the server. Personally, I do this way and it works. The worst
> thing you may run into is that moving the message to another
> folder on one machine duplicates it after synch:( Use filters for
> moving 'numerous classes of messages' and then
>  Folder->Kill_dups_in_all_folders.
---

Hi Serge, and thanks.

Strangely enough, the archive is not a problem. Once messages find
their way there, they stay put and, since I never move messages to
archive on the laptop, there is only one copy. Having the archive
makes things a little easier and it doesn't take too long to load.
When it does get onerous, I'll leave messages in the main account a
little longer and do as you say.

Unfortunately, both accounts deleting from the server is not an option
for two reasons. I check mail from my laptop to see whether anything
new has come in -- if my office email server deletes the message, I
can't get at it from the laptop. Also, I'm not the only user at chéz
nous. If my laptop deletes from the ISP, the others won't get their
mail!

FWIW, being able to block-delete all messages from an account would do
it. The problem is the old messages that come back from the laptop and
the duplicate messages that come via the other route. If I deleted all
messages from the laptop before syncing, there would be no extra
baggage to come back from the laptop.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK