On 08 February 2002 at 4:00 pm Jonathan wrote:

> Use a high end editor (like Multi Edit, Slick Edit, etc) and see if you feel the
> same way!  The number one feature that distinguishes these are _configurability_
> (keymapping, toolbar, etc) although TB wouldn't the need extension-specific
> configuration.

> TB is actually pretty good, but it would be nice to be able to remap the
> keyboard - and not just for the editor - so that one doesn't have to remember
> multiple ways to do the same thing (e.g., reformat paragraph, F5 for search,
> etc.)

I think the problem is that TB!'s editor is deliberately _not_ like
other editors in many ways. That doesn't mean that it's wrong, but the
ubiquity of Microsoft applications (and copies of the way they do
things) exerts enormous hidden pressure to always do things the same
way.

Something else useful for new users (and old users :) would be a button
in Options | Editor Preferences to reset them to the defaults. It is
_very easy_ to go away from the defaults and get completely confused ...

(This is wish no.492 for those who want to look in the bugtracker).

Alastair

--
Alastair Scott (London, United Kingdom)
Using Windows 95 and The Bat! 1.54 Beta/37