Sunday, February 17, 2002, 12:00:01 AM, you wrote:

GL> Saturday, February 16, 2002, 10:39:04 PM, Yuki Taga wrote:

>> Interesting.  I have never had this happen, so let me see if I
>> understand you correctly.  You are saying that in auto-protect mode,
>> Norton will stop a download if it detects a virus in a message coming
>> it.  Is that right?
GL> ---

GL> It depends on how you configure auto-protect mode. The reason that the
GL> download stops is that NAV detects the virus and prevents TB from
GL> accessing the infected file until it has completed the required
GL> action. If NAV is configured to ask what to do with the infected file,
GL> TB cannot complete processing the message until you have responded to
GL> NAV. Because NAV is holding a message, waiting for your input,
GL> subsequent messages cannot be processed until you respond.

GL> However, if you configure NAV to automatically quarantine or delete
GL> the infection without asking, it can deal with the infection without
GL> waiting for your input, and thus should not prevent TB from completing
GL> the download.

GL> HTH,

It is also important to know the differences between 2001 and 2002, as
the email scanning mechanism is very different. There is no autodelete
function for mail downloads in 2002 and both quarantine and repair on
the mail scanner require user input, so any virus detection stops the
mail download until this is done. After the 20th badtrans, this gets
very tiresome. In 2001, infected mail attachments can be deleted by
the mail scanner without interrupting the download at all, leaving the
mail body intact and a virus information text file in place of the
attachment.

Symantec's advice on this change in 2002 is to turn the mail scanner
off and rely on the resident scanner, as Geoff has indicated for 2001.
This will have exactly the same problem (manual deleting of each
infected attachment) unless you configure the resident scanner to
autodelete which, unlike the mail scanner in 2002, can be done. This
is, however, rather dangerous as it means that infections from other
sources that affect system files could possibly lead to the deletion
of system files before you have a chance to repair them, depending on
what stage Norton picks the virus up. This is one reason why a
separate mail scanner can be a good idea. Set the resident scanner to
autoquarantine and it gets round this problem but still leaves
quarantine filled up with infected files which have to be dealt with
sometime.

I had a lengthy correspondence with Symantec techies about the changes
in 2002 and I got the distinct impression that they were not too keen
on some of these themselves. It seems they were forced on them by
their customer services people, who wanted a mail scanner that didn't
require each account to be configured. They could only give them one
at the expense of losing other functionality.

I went back to 2001 - this works in XP, btw, if you run the symevent
update file before rebooting after installation.

John Rainer