I noted that the TB! message bases become _horrendously_ fragmented*
(hardly a surprise, as they're continuously written to) and have
worked out a way of fixing this easily without having to defragment
the entire hard disk (NT4, Win2K or WinXP only).

The drill is:

1. Download contig.exe (which allows you to defragment single files)
from

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/contig.shtml

2. Unpack it and, from a DOS prompt _with TB! closed_, type:

contig -s -q "C:\Program Files\The Bat!\MAIL\*.*"

This will grind away and come back to the DOS prompt sooner or later.
In my case it produces a considerable speed improvement, particularly
in backing up and compressing folders.

Alastair

* some files had over 400 fragments ...

--
Alastair Scott (London, United Kingdom)
Using Windows XP and The Bat! 1.54 Beta/42