A Bat-fellow, Shauna Scott,
wrote on Saturday, 6th April 2002 at 09:28:23 (GMT -0700),
which was 18:28 in Bratislava --

SS> It seems strange to me that the same key would have opposite uses
SS> depending on which screen you're on. Also, I can't find anything that
SS> tells me F2 means Send Now in the editor window - the menu says the
SS> shortcut is Ctrl-Enter, the help file says the shortcut is Shift-F2
SS> (actually the help file reverses the Send Now and Queue in Outbox
SS> shortcuts - presumably a typo). Neither refer to F2.

Some of the TB! menus can be extremely confusing. Especially since the
behaviour of F2 versus SHIFT+F2 depends upon what option you select
in your Account | Properties | Transport | Delivery: Immediate /
Deferred. F2 assumes the role of SHIFT+F2 and vice versa, depending on
what you select here, and this may vary from account to account.

If you look at this screenshot -- which is the current configuration
of keyboard shortcuts in my editor: www.avenarius.sk/misc/short.png --
it is totally confusing. I don't know what the hell the entries are
supposed to mean -- how come there's a double entry for one item, with
two different shortcuts shown that however produce *different* results
on my system? In spite of the confusion I've somehow succeeded in
configuring the Editor's behaviour to my satisfaction, which is F2 =
queue in outbox, SHIFT+F2 = send immediately, with the Deferred
Delivery option selected. CTRL+ENTER equally queues in outbox, but I
don't use it. Unfortunately the CTRL+ENTER shortcut refuses to get
deleted or relocated on this machine; it gets restored for its default
menu item every time you open another message to edit. And it is true
that, as you say, F2 is shown nowhere among the regular "Message" menu
items.

SS> I couldn't figure out what was meant by "in the editor F2 means
SS> "Send mail". I don't see how anyone would know that except by
SS> stumbling across it by accident, as I did.

Guess all of us did! It's a fantastic achievement for Ritlabs to be
offering configurable keyboard shortcuts in 1.60 (the original rumour
had it this would only be incorporated in Version 2 for which you need
to re-register) but it would probably offend no one if the current
Keyboard Shortcuts Editor were completely redesigned from scratch for
Version 2. (For instance, a useful currently missing option is
"Restore All Defaults". Or, in the manner of DreamWeaver 4, the option
to save any particular set of keyboard shortcuts and the ability to
switch between such sets effortlessly from within the application.) In
fact the most recent rumour has it that Version2 will indeed feature a
completely redisigned Keyboard Shortcuts Editor along with the ability
for each user to completely redesign the appearance of all menus. So
our unease about the missing F2 menu item shouldn't last beyond the
appearance of V2.

--
Yours,
Alex. of Slovakia

[flying with The Bat! 1.60
under Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
amd k6-2 500 mhz processor with 128 mb ram]