Hello Avram,

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:01:25 -0500 GMT (30/07/02, 02:01 +0700 GMT),
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Acc> Zone Alarm and Black Ice are the only firewalls that have been recommended on a
Acc> law office technology list I participate in.

Why are the lawyers not recommending the otehrs? Were they just not
mentioned on the lawyers' list, or did they say something
discouringing about them?

Acc> Assuming ZA is out and that Kerio, Sygate, BlackIce, and Outpost
Acc> are the only ones that do not interfere with The Bat, which one
Acc> of these does the collective recommend?

I used Sygate for a while when I was trying firewalls (and ended up
with TPF/Kerio). I didn't like Sygate for two reasons:

1.) When I allowed Windows Commander to FTP (thus opening ports
20/21), Sygate decided that all ports are in order. In particular,
someone recommended me to test with a site that uses an usual port for
FTP, and WinCom connected without problems or any warning from Sygate.
:-((

2.) When I installed TPF over Sygate for a brief period, I noticed
that Sygate calls out to its own home paage at port 80 everytime it is
started. Calling home? Why? What info is being transmitted?

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

"Wenn ich nur darf, wenn ich soll, aber nie kann, wenn ich will, dann
mag ich auch nicht, wenn ich muss. Wenn ich aber darf, wenn ich will,
dann mag ich auch, wenn ich soll und dann kann ich auch, wenn ich
muss. Denn schliesslich: Die, die koennen sollen, muessen wollen
duerfen."

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.62/Beta1
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM