Hi Tim!

In message [EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
on Saturday, October 5, 2002, 5:51:11 PM, you wrote:

T> After recently cleaning out all the viruses from my mother's computer,
T> I've decided it's time she changed from Outlook Express to TB!

T> I've set up her account in TB!, and set up AVG. I'm now trying to
T> anticipate her problems in adjusting. She can just manage to use
T> Outlook Express, Internet Explorer and Word. Anything else is too hard
T> (I'm still not sure if she's understood how to use folders yet).

T> 1. I know lots of people have problems with the editor when they first
T>    use it. What options should I have turned on?

T>    For my own use, I normally have Autoformat off and Autowrap on. My
T>    feeling is it's probably better to have Autoformat on for my
T>    mother, as she's unlikely to be able to reformat a block when she
T>    edits a line.

T> 2. How do you make TB! ask for confirmation before going online?

T>    If the connection option is set to LAN or Manual, then it seems TB!
T>    will not do anything if there's no connection. If it's set to
T>    dial-up, then it connects without confirmation. That's what I've
T>    set it to at present, but I'd prefer for my mother to know with no
T>    doubt when she is going online.

T> 3. HTML mail.

T>    I don't think my mother has any reason to send HTML mail, so that
T>    part's not a problem.

T>    Most of the HTML mail she receives is really just text sent as
T>    HTML. She also receives a few store catalogues and specials offers,
T>    which all display perfectly.

T>    However, each month she receives a report related to her breeding
T>    program. The report comes as an HTML mail. It should show six
T>    graphs, four tables, and some text. The figures are attached to the
T>    email.

T>    In TB!, these emails do not display correctly. The left edge (about
T>    1 cm) of the first figure appears. Where the remainder of the
T>    figures should be is all blank. The tables and text appear
T>    correctly below the blank area of figures.

T>    If I double-click to open the html attachment in Internet Explorer,
T>    the figures do not appear. The space where each should appear is
T>    clearly marked, and there is a little picture icon in the top left
T>    corner of each rectangle, but I can't make the pictures appear.
T>    If I save all the attachments to a folder and open the message.htm
T>    attachment, I get the same as if I double-clicked in TB!
T>    Similarly if I export the email as .eml and open it in Outlook
T>    Express.
T>    The email received in Outlook Express displays perfectly.

T>    Unless someone can tell me how to make these emails display
T>    correctly in TB! (no complicated workarounds), I will have to
T>    uninstall TB! and go back to Outlook Express (unless someone can
T>    suggest another mailer that would be more secure and work perfectly
T>    for my mother).

T> My mother returns tomorrow, and I leave tomorrow night. So this has to
T> be solved quickly.

I  suspect that TB! has problems with displaying HTML. Here's what you
can  do  to  crank  down  the  security in OE. Go to Tools | Options |
Security. Set it for Restricted Zone, Warn when other applications try
to send mail as me, and Do not allow potentially-dangerous attachments
to be saved or opened.

Then,   go   to   IE,  Tools->Internet  Options->Security->Restricted
Sites | Custom Level,  Set everything to Disable or High Safety.  Next,
save  that and click Tools-Windows Update, and make sure that you have
all  of  the  security  patches installed.  That will make OE about as
secure as you can manage.

--
--Scott.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using  The  Bat! 1.61 under Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 on an AMD Athlon
XP 1900 (1.6G real, 1.9G effective) with 512MB.