and later the same day Roelof wrote:

RO> I just tried where TB left the draft and it stored it in the outbox of
RO> the account that's configured as 'This account is the defautlt fot
RO> mailto links'.

RO> So if you've got multiple accounts, check all outboxes.

Henning and Roelof, thank you, you're both wonderful! These were the
clues I needed to find the missing message :-) The Common Folder was
at the bottom of the folder list and I found the missing message in
the outbox of the account at the *top* of the list - which happens to
be the *default* mail account and which I rarely use as it's not
accessible from my NTL connection!

I'm just so relieved that all the work wasn't lost! ;-)

--
Cheers,
 Anne