Hello slug,

I  thought  I'd  add  one more message to this thread - my solution to
the  problem of sending e-mail through my AOL account while traveling,
and using The Bat! to access and organize all my email.

No  luck  with  sending anything through AOL - not even with Mercury -
they  somehow prevent nameserver use as well as relaying.  So not even
a direct delivery is allowed through AOL.  You must go through another
e-mail  client, but as I said, The Bat! is not correctly processing my
SMTP  connection with ATT (it works on my ATT connection but this is a
simple set up without authentication).  So here is my solution:

I  found three web-based FREE e-mail clients.  Most of those suggested
in the threads are not free anymore, or no longer accept new accounts,
or  don't  offer  their  SMTP  sending service on their free accounts.
Here  are  three  that  are  free  and work with AOL.  I gather e-mail
directly off my ATT account, but send through these:

Compustream:
http://www.compustream.net/register.asp

GMX,  a German site - largest free e-mail site in Germany, pretty easy
to  figure  out  even  in  german, use altavista tranlate/babelfish if
necessary  (but you have to connect directly to sign in)  And you have
to  sign in with your whole e-mail address or customer number - in The
Bat! account set up in the user spot too.

http://www42.gmx.net/

softhome  Gives  free SMTP service, but says there are restricitons on
how  often  you  may  check your account and bandwidth restrictions (I
suspect  they  actually mean traffic, not strictly bandwidth) but they
don't specify the actual amounts - so we'll see.

http://softhome.net/

 slug                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]