Hello Simon,

On Sunday, October 27, 2002 at 7:54:51 PM you [S] wrote (at least in
part):

[AVG plugin test]
S> These are rest of the test files from gfi.com that ended up in my mailbox.

S> * Object Codebase vulnerability test
S> * MIME header vulnerability test
S> * Iframe remote vulnerability test
S> * ActiveX vulnerability test
S> * eicar.com [1/5]
S> * VBS attachment vulnerability test
S> * CLSID extension vulnerability test
S> * Malformed file extension vulnerability test (for Outlook 2002 - XP)
S> * GFI's Access exploit vulnerability test
S> * CLSID extension vulnerability test (for Outlook 2002 - XP)
[...]
S> In  any  event,  with  *only*  the  AVG  plugin  installed  nothing  but the
S> eircar.com attachment is detected and quarantined.

None of them is a virus. Excluding the 'eicar.com [1/5]' which can't
be detected, all of the rest are 'exploits', no viruses.
The reason why Kaspersky detects some of them is that they seem to not
only concentrate on virus detection, but 'detection of possible
malicious code' as well. Something I don't expect as being the core
competence of an AntiVirus engine.
I for myself don't want to blame any AV software for not playing
'sandbox' for potentially aggressive code like .VBS scripts or
CLSID-hacks (exploits).
It's the application that should not execute anything within it's
context (like Outlook [Express] does with ActiveX-objects and
CLSID-based embedded objects) and the interpreter engine that should
provide a sandbox (like I'd like to see one for .VBS scripts).
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther

Music is my life, but what is life?