Hello Thomas,

Friday, November 1, 2002, 9:04:23 AM, you wrote:

TF> Hello Mary,

>> My sister sent me a FWD re a genealogy file. Since I thought it was an
>> attachment, I enabled Rich Text/html in the viewer. Opened the message
>> and it came up as a page full of little squares.

TF> Rich text and HTML are two different things. Anyway, over here I get
TF> squares only if my computer does not have the fonts associated with
TF> the character codes. This in turn has to do with the character coding
TF> chosen.

Well, in my copy of TB, v.1.61 Options/Preferences/View, the drop-down
box gives you two choices: Fixed Width Fonts (which means text only)
and Rich Text/html (which I take to mean both, even though they are
not the same thing).

TF> As a matter of fact, I have so far only seen this in Word documents,
TF> not in emails.

This may very well have been a Word document, but it opened in the
body of the message when I clicked Reply.

>> I decided to reply to her and ask her to re-send, so I could re-open
>> it in much-maligned OE. In Reply (Edit Message) all the squares became
TF> (legible)

TF> This is weird. Because TB uses the same character code for replies
TF> that was assigned to the original message.

>> Question: Is this normal tbudl behavior?

TF> I have never experienced this, but that doesn't mean that we won;t
TF> solve the mystery. To the contrary.

That's what tbudl's for,
Nicht wahr?

 Mary                            mailto:mrbull@;premiernet.net