On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:47:43 +0100
Dierk Haasis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]
> But none of that has anything to do with privacy. The main point is
> that *I* decide what I want to give away and what not - nobody else.

I'm going to butt in here. The point is that you *did* decide. You
decided that you wanted the Educational version with all that it
entails.

> The argument you are bringing up reminds me a lot of the age old "If
> you don't do anything wrong, you have nothing to fear by our new
> measures". This is so stupid I don't want to, but seemingly have to,
> point it out again.

The name Godwin suddenly comes to mind...
(http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/Godwin's-Law.html)

> With an ever-growing marketing/advertising industry keen on
> information about everyone with the slightest cent to spend I don't
> like the frivolous approach to Privacy you showed. Actually I fear
> information about me in the hands of private corporations much more
> than officials knowing something about me.

> > How much is your percieved privacy issue worth to you?
>
> Privacy is a Human Right. There is no price tag. Except in Red China!

Hmmm, I've never been very fond of the whole "Human Right" argument. To
be honest it is fairly silly. Nature doesn't guarantee anything.
Therefore it is somewhat irrational to assume that one has a right to
anything simply because one exists. This doesn't mean that I think you
should just accept whatever others try to force on you. One should
protect whatever one has, be it privacy or anything else, and strive to
improve ones life. Ok, enough armchair philosophy I'll stop now.

Hexdump                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]