In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Thomas Fernandez [TF] wrote:'

TF> I was replying to Dierk, who is using a "personal" version and
TF> made a bigger deal out of it than Sean. Sean didn't complain
TF> about targeted ads, either; Dierk did.

Dierk gave a good example of how such seemingly innocuous disclosure
of your license type could be used against you. That's all.

Sean presented his concern for having 'Educational' in the headers.
Dierk presented his concern for having even 'Personal' or 'Business' in
the headers. I'm no student either and I have my concerns. Surely,
you see that this goes beyond simply being a someone who doesn't
like being misunderstood into being thought to be a poor student
(whether that be qualitatively a valid concern or not).

We're trying to reveal the bigger picture here and this I mentioned
in my very first comment, i.e., that his concern of being
misunderstood and your telling him that there's nothing to be
ashamed about, being a student , is besides the point. The point is
one of privacy. If you don't breach privacy, then Seans concern will
not come up.

I had a similar discussion with Marck and Brainstorm. Initially,
each HTML published brainstorm document would have at the bottom of
it that it was published using BrainStorm. This was hard coded into
it, even if you're a registered user. Now you may consider this not
to be a problem, a breach of privacy or anything. You may also feel
that it wasn't in my place to complain about it, and that I could
easily just not use the software.

Anyway, I didn't like this and chose not simply not use the
software. I felt that, as a registered user, it was my right to
disclose this information or not to. Of course, it would help
Brainstorm software sales to have it there all the time. I concede
that, but I think you know the rest ... They eventually changed
this, and now I can put whatever I like there, including their
default comment, or nothing at all. Now isn't that a much better
arrangement? BTW, have you all tried BrainStorm? It's great
software. :)

TF> As for the serial numbers, a good case was presented, as the
TF> individual sender can be traced.

TF> The information "educational" is however much too general

You're not looking at it from a point of principle. A principled
approach avoids this sort of subjective assessment that's really not
valid, since it's just that ... subjective.

--
Allie C Martin     \      TB! v1.62/Beta7 & WinXP Pro (SP1)
 List Moderator    /   PGP Key - http://pub-key.ac-martin.com