* Thomas Fernandez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Simon wrote:

>> In  a recent discussion with a friend I was _told_ ;) that 'Re:' used in the
>> subject  line  of  an  email  was  an  abbreviation  for  'Reply'
>
>> Anyhow,  after  thinking about it, I can understand that using Re: in a *new
>> message* to mean 'Regarding' may be confounding to the recipient of it as it
>> may be mistaken to mean a 'Reply', but I am still uncertain whether there is
>> an actual proper or accepted usage of 'Re:' in email messages.
>
> "Re:" stands for Reply.

No. As the RFC says it means "res".

Let's take a look at the Usenet. A subject of an answer to a Usenet article
starts with "Re: " but it is *not* called a "reply" but a *followup".

reply    => answer to an E-Mails       => uses Re:
followup => answer to a Usenet article => uses Re:

 =>  Re: != Reply

  q.e.d. ;)

>> And is one acceptable and the other unacceptable?
>
> It is acceptable (and quite common and sensible, but not absolutely
> necessary) to add "Re:" to the beginning of a subject line when
> replying. It is not acceptable in other cases.

ACK.

--
Best regards, Carsten