Hi Allie,

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 16:29:21 -0500
"Allie C Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> If I set The Bat to leave files on the server, it will continue
>> to download *all* the files left on the server over and over. It
>> doesn't take long to end up with a gazillion dupes.

> That's likely a server configuration problem.

ACK.

> The server is supposed to mark successfully retrieved messages as
> 'read'.

He might do so, but this is irrelevant for TB! working the expected way.

> When TB! reconnects, it will then know which messages are new and not
> yet retrieved from which have already been retrieved.

Not by any 'server mark'.
The Bat! fetches a list of 'UID's (via UIDL command) at the beginning of
a session. It stores the UID of every message it retrieved locally and
the next time it fetches these list it compares it to it's local copy.
Every UID alredy present in it's data set it ignores, every unknown UID
is queued for the corresponding message to be downloaded. After
successfully downlowding the mail the new UID is added to the local
repository.

The trouble the OP might "be run into" will likely be: the POP3-server
does not generate the same UID for the same message every time.
This is a known, but not wide spread problem which can only be fixed on
server side. The Bat! can do _nothing_ about it, it's only chance to
identify a message on server definitely is: the UID.
Every other possibility to identify a duplicate is connected to
downloading the message and do a local 'Dup check' as 'Kill duplicates'
does.

Hope this clears thing a little bit, albeit it is no solution to the OPs
problem. I doubt there's any solution, but the administrator fixing the
server :-/
--
Pit