On Friday, January 3, 2003, 12:09:31 AM,
Roelof Otten ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

ME>> That strikes me as pretty preposterous.  XML files are ASCII files and
ME>> it would be awfully hard for a virus to hide in one.

> Yep, but awfully easy to read them.

Outlook addressbooks are *hard* to read, yet virus/trojan writers have
no problem with it, never had. The format of the addressbook isn't an
issue; the insecure automation protocols built into Outlook are.

(All the same, as the author of PhoneDeck, I feel called on the carpet
here. It's off-topic for this list, though, so I'll just say that
while XML is certainly the buzzword of the day, it doesn't make things
as easy as the hype would have us believe. What good would be
XML-enabled PhoneDeck *and* TheBat, if PhoneDeck had a <name-first>
tag and TheBat! had <first-name>? No good at all. Second, reading XML,
whether through DOM or SAX, is a very complex process. PhoneDeck's
addressbook format, while technically "proprietary", is perfectly
readable to human eye, and is very easy to parse, much easier than XML
will ever be. So is CSV export. Can't say that about TheBat's
addressbook, though ;)

Best regards,
.marek jedlinski

--
No ads, no nags freeware: http://keynote.prv.pl
(KeyNote, PhoneDeck, KookieJar, Oubliette)

The media finally figured out that their "paying customers"
(i.e. advertisers) don't WANT an intelligent, thoughtful
audience.  And they no longer have one." (Rich Tietjens)