In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mary Bull [MB] wrote:'

MB> So: There was that continuing thread, post after post, subsequent
MB> to Marck's warning to the originator of the thread. There was one
MB> particular term in that thread that I wished to have clarified--it
MB> seemed to pertain to the on-topic discussion of what new features
MB> are desirable in The Bat!

Yes, and of course, you're free to ask that a term be explained to
you. It would be unreasonable to not allow this.

MB> Because of this latest experience. Yes, I asked my question,
MB> clearly, and in a new thread, so that it got attention. (Oh, boy,
MB> did it ever!) And I got lots of courteous information from at
MB> least half a dozen people.

Good. I saw this. No problem.

BTW, just to clarify; my request to stop the thread on what FTP was,
didn't have anything to do with your asking the question. It had to do
with the fact that it had been sufficiently answered and any further
discussion would have no longer been appropriate.

MB> But then, I got told I should not have asked that question at all,
MB> because it was off topic.

MB> And the first person to tell me, actually, was Jonathan Angliss on
MB> TBOT, where he answered the question.

I'm not sure if he meant that. He'll have to clarify this himself. I
didn't see it as being off-topic. A query to clarify a term used in an
on-topic discussion, cannot be deemed off-topic. This wouldn't make
sense.

MB> [...] I wrote to Jonathan on TBOT and told him that I did not
MB> understand how asking about a term used in an on-topic discussion
MB> could be off topic. And I am saying that to you now, because it is
MB> the source of my present frustration.

MB> It's like a Catch-22.

Indeed, it would be if your concern were true. :)

MB> But, as I said, it immediately brought in the moderator. So I feel
MB> I should not have asked it.

Actually, my request to end the thread was made after 14 messages on
it. I could have stepped in at any point along the thread since I was
on-line most of the time the discussion ensued. I didn't think it was
necessary up until when I did.

The other thing is that my comment about on-topic discussions was a
general one, made for all readers. It was kindled by your comment

,-----[ begin ]----->>

| MB> Extremely well put. And I hope if there are any other shy lurkers
| MB> like me, this will encourage them to ask questions--even at the
| MB> risk of getting Off Topic. :)|

among those of others. It was not a comment directed at you personally
or to comment specifically on anything you did. I actually agree with
your comment as quoted above. I just added to it.

- --
  -=] allie_M [=-  {List Moderator}

MUA: TB! v1.63 Beta/4 ___ OS: WinXP Pro (SP1)